These muffins are a tasty and healthy alternative to regular cakes. They are completely vegan and can be modified by using different nuts and fruit, a great alternative are pecan and dried apricots. With the protein from the nuts and carbs from the wholewheat flour and carrot, they make a good after workout snack, to refuel your body.
To start off, sift together the flours, baking powder, sugar and spices. With wholewheat flour, sometimes bits can be left in the sieve. When this happens, gently push the wholewheat flakes through the sieve and through away any left overs.
Then add the carrot, oil, water, vinegar (if you’re using it) and vanilla. Gently mix the liquids in until just combined. Fold through the nuts and fruit making sure the nuts aren’t too large.
Split into the 12 muffin cases evenly. If you’re using cupcake cases then use 20 and bake for 5 minutes less. Bake for 25-30 minutes in the oven at 190 C until golden or until a skewer comes out clean.
Carrot and walnut muffins |Healthy & vegan
- 240g grated carrot
- 100g mixed dried raisins, sultanas, cranberries etc.
- 70g hoped walnuts
- 140g white flour
- 140g wholemeal flour
- 1 tbsp baking powder
- 160g granulated sugar
- 2 tsp cinnamon
- 1 tsp ginger
- 200 ml vegetable oil
- 200 ml water
- pinch of salt
- 1 tbsp vinegar (optional)
- 1 tsp vanilla essence
- Pre heat the oven to 190 C
- Sift all the dry ingredients together.
- Add in the carrot and wet ingredients then gently mix together
- Fold in the nuts and fruit.
- Place the mixture into 12 muffin cases or 20 small cupcake cases.
- Bake for 25- 30 minutes until golden or until a skewer comes out clean.