When it comes to treating myself there’s nothing I love more than a comforting bowl of soya yogurt topped with granola and fruit. If you like the sound of that, don’t go running to the supermarket and buy a bag of granola packed with processed sugar, unhealthy oils and nut butters. All these ingredients just make it higher in calories and add unnecessary fat.
To start off, heat the coconut oil and date syrup in a pan or microwave. You can use maple syrup if you like but date syrup is a cheaper alternative and adds a slightly different taste to maple. Coconut oil has many proven health benefits but it is still an oil and I don’t like using a lot of it as I prefer to get my fat from nuts.
Then add in the oats and chopped up nuts. Mix them together until the oats are fully coated. If it seems too dry, rather than adding in more oil, add a splash of water or a little more syrup.The problem with granola is that it can end up too high in fat, so try to keep the oil to a minimum.
Spread out the oat mixture out over a non stick baking tray and place in the oven at 180c and bake for 45 minutes. The date syrup is a dark colour and can make the oats appear to be burnt so half way through I like to cover the tray with baking foil.
When you take the tray out the oven drizzle a little syrup over the oats depending on how sweets the oats are already. Allow to cool and then add in the dairy free chocolate, cranberries, goji berries. You can change up the things you add in, I like using raisins, apricots, dried banana and dates. Serve as a snack on it’s own, over fruit, with dairy free milk as cereal or top with yogurt. Enjoy !
Berry & nut granola | Healthy & vegan
- 1/3 cup oil
- 1/3 cup syrup and extra to drizzle at the end
- 4 cup oats
- handful of mixed nuts
- 35g chocolate
- 1/4 cup cranberries
- 1/4 cup goji berries
- Heat the date syrup and coconut oil in a pan or microbe and stir.
- Add in the oats and mix until combined, adding a little water if it seems dry.
- Chop the nuts and add into the mixture.
- Spread the oats over a baking tray and place in the oven for 45 minutes, mixing and covering with foil half way through.
- Whilst the oats are still hot out the oven, drizzle over some syrup (around 1/4 cup) depending on how sweet the oats taste already.
- When cool add in the rest of the ingredients.
- Enjoy !