It was my brother’s birthday a few weeks ago and obviously I was put on cake making duty. In the past I’ve made him dairy cakes but wanted to make him a vegan cake to see if he tasted any difference (he didn’t at all!). This simple chocolate cake went down a treat, leading to many compliments, mostly off of stoned people so it is defiantly a munchy approved desert … If you want to jazz this cake up maybe try crushing some Oreos and adding into the buttercream, or go for a chocolate orange buttercream to give a Terry’s Chocolate Orange feel.
To start off preheat the oven to 180c and grease two cake tins, I used 8″ tins (I think) but I usually guess and hope for the best – it always works out somehow. Then sift the flour, cocoa powder, caster sugar and baking powder into a large bowl, giving it a little stir to ensure it’s fully mixed.
In a jug or smaller bowl, mix the milk, oil and vanilla together, then add to the dry ingredients.
Fold in the liquid ingredients, being careful not to over mix. If you beat the mixture too much at this point, the cake won’t rise properly and will come out flat – not a pretty sight.
Once you’re happy with the mixture, pour it gently into the tins. Tap the tins lightly on the worktop until the air bubbles are mostly gone off the top. This helps the cake rise more evenly. Bake the cakes for around 20 minutes or until a skewer comes out clean. If you don’t have a fan oven, it may take a little longer.
Moving onto the buttercream icing, start with creaming the butter in a large bowl until it soft. Don’t skip this step or you’ll end you’ll end up with a lumpy icing.
Beat in the cocoa powder and icing sugar until you have an icing consistency. if the mixture is too thick, add some milk, if it’s too liquidy then add some icing.
Spread the icing in the middle of cake and on top. To decorate I crumbled some cookies over the top but feel free to use oreos, fruit or whatever you feel like !
Chocolate cake with chocolate buttercream icing | Vegan baking
- 340g self raising flour
- 70g cocoa powder
- 250g caster sugar
- 2 tsp baking powder
- 400ml plant based milk (I use coconut)
- 160ml rapeseed oil
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 100g vegan butter
- 450g icing sugar
- 80g cocoa powder
- Preheat the oven to 180c and grease two cake tins (about 8″).
- Sift the flour, caster sugar, cocoa powder and baking powder into a large bowl then lightly stir.
- In a separate bowl mix the milk, oil and vanilla in a bowl then add to the dry ingredients.
- Fold in the ingredients lightly, trying not to over mix.
- Pour the mixture into both tins and tap the tins to get any visible air bubbles out.
- Bake for 20 minutes or until sewer comes out clean. Then allow to cool whilst making the buttercream.
- For the buttercream, cream the butter until soft, then add the sifted cocoa powder and icing sugar.
- Mix together until it’s all combined. Add a little milk until you get the desired consistency, or icing sugar if too liquidy.
- Spread the icing on the inside and top of the cake, decorating with your choice of vegan cookie or sugar decorations.